Lake Charles, LA
Well, well, well…….The Walking Dead shut the door on another season last night, and I have to admit that it was one of my favorite season closers so far. A ton of issues were resolved in the second half of this season and quite a few more issues were opened up or left hanging in the final episode.
Last night’s episode gave us the never-quite-mentally-stable-all-season Rick finally coming unhinged with an extremely violent defense of Carl, Michonne, and Daryl when the gang of marauders finally catch up to him looking for revenge. For those of you who have not seen the episode yet DO NOT READ ANY MORE OF THIS POST! It contains spoilers!! I can’t say that I blame Rick for his extreme reaction to what was happening to his friends and, in particular, his son. I loved how the gunshot and headbutt seemed to jar farmer Rick out of his funk and he turned into raging Rick!
Those poor guys didn’t know what to do when Rick took a bite out of their leader’s neck and spit it to the ground. It was the reaction of a man who had had enough with being the good guy or the moral thinker trying to bring some type of normalcy to this crazy new world he found himself in. He ditched the shovel and picked up the knife, so to speak.
His actions gave Michonne and Daryl the small window they needed to dispatch the rest of the baddies excepting one, Carl’s would-be molester. I loved how Rick’s face flooded with anger when he said, “He’s mine.” I honestly can’t say that I wouldn’t have the same reaction that he did to some sleezeball trying to do that to one of my own children. It was violent, yet well deserved.
After cleaning up a bit, the gang of Rick, Michonne, Carl, and Daryl headed for the too-good-to-be-true land of Terminus. As expected, they found trouble. They also found most of their friends (minus Tyreese, Carol, Judith, and Beth), and a few new friends in the form of Abe, Rosita, Tara, and Eugene. Of course, meeting them by being forced to shack up with them in a railcar isn’t the best thing in the world, but it’s a start. That start, in true TWD fashion, ended the season and now we have to look at unanswered questions new and old.
1. Where’s Beth? Did the group from Terminus kidnap her, or perhaps another group (friend or foe)? Did she become lunch for Tasha Yar? I’m guessing we’ll find out later this year.
2. Are Carol, Tyreese, and Judith already at Terminus or are they even going to end up there? My guess is that they will eventually show up, and when they do, they will cause a lot of trouble for the Terminus bunch. I also believe that Carol will be fully forgiven by Rick for her actions at the prison. Why? Because I believe that after his throat biting/molester gutting incident, he finally realizes that she was simply doing what she thought had to be done, good or bad.
3. How are Rick and company going to break out of that railcar?
4. Which, if any, of the group will end up as the main course at a Terminus dinner on the ground?
5. Will Tasha Yar die in this series as well?
6. Is Morgan going to return?
7. Finally, and quite possibly most important of all, will Eugene keep that sweet mullet, or will he pull a Shane and shear off those lovely locks?
Thanks for reading, gang. Feel free to leave any guesses, answers, or theories below. Did I miss any questions left open after last night? Be sure to toss them in the comments section as well.